Early Fall Getaways
Bald Head Island, North Carolina
This small and trendy barrier island is perfect for a quiet fall escape.
- Car Free: accessible by 55-minute ferry ride ($22.00 RT adults) from Southport. Nearest airport is Wilmington – 30 miles from Southport.
- No Crowds: quiet beaches beckon long walks.
- Swim, kayak, canoe, paddleboard or fish in the warm waters.
- Hike the popular Kent Mitchell Nature Trail.
- Rent bicycles and tour 15-miles of scenic roads.
- Visit Old Baldy Lighthouse and South Island Museum.
- Shop and dine in the chic boutiques and restaurants.
“Play” on the island as most accommodations are private rentals and “Stay” in Southport with a number of reasonable options like Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express—rates from $130.00 per night.