5 Things Keeping You from Conceiving
By Dr. Jennifer Mercier
If you’re one of the over six million American women who struggle with fertility, you may be shocked to know that some of your simple life choices might inadvertently be keeping you from conceiving.
According to Naturopathic Physician and PhD, Jennifer Mercier, who has helped over 80 percent of her patients get pregnant, here are 5 Things Keeping You from Conceiving:
- Fast Food: While we’ve heard the saying that burger, fries and soda taste good a moment on the lips and lingers on the hips, you might not know it also impedes your chances of conceiving. A woman’s body needs to be healthy to incubate a baby. To improve your chances of getting pregnant Mercier recommends eating organic, whole foods.
- Couch Potato: Binging on Netflix can definitely be entertaining, but spending all that time sitting on your butt instead of keeping active can make it harder to conceive.
- Stress: With mind and body linked, it’s no surprise that high levels of stress put a strain on a woman’s body, making it harder for her to conceive. Mercier suggests women trying to get pregnant find an outlet for stress that works for them, whether it’s meditation or yoga or a hobby she loves. Try to relax so your body can do what you want.
- Lack of Self Care: Women are notoriously bad at putting themselves first. But for women trying to conceive, prioritizing their physical and mental health is paramount. Mercier suggests massage, bubble baths, and learning to say NO!
- Not Being Your Own Health Advocate: While it’s important to surround yourself with a good medical team, it’s equally important that you take a proactive approach to your care. Trust your team, but you intrinsically know your own body. Don’t be afraid to speak up about your needs.